If you haven't watched The Roku Channel recently, now's the time to take another look. The free, ad-supported, streaming video service from Roku, Inc. has a lot of great new content available this month, and Roku is also unlocking episodes of popular shows from some the premium subscription services that are available through The Roku Channel.
October's New Free Content
Roku has added over 50 free movies to The Roku Channel this month. Some of our favorites are listed below, but you can find the full list of new movies on the Roku Blog.
- Training Day (2001) – On his first day on the job as a Los Angeles narcotics officer, a rookie cop goes beyond a full work day in training within the narcotics division of the L.A.P.D. with a rogue detective who isn’t what he appears to be.
- Rules Of Engagement (2000) – An attorney defends an officer on trial for ordering his troops to fire on civilians after they stormed a U.S. embassy in a Middle Eastern country.
- Bewitched (2005) – Thinking he can overshadow an unknown actress in the part, an egocentric actor unknowingly gets a witch cast in an upcoming television remake of the classic sitcom Bewitched (1964).
- The Cable Guy (1996) – A lonely and mentally disturbed cable guy raised on television just wants a new friend, but his target, a designer, rejects him, with bad consequences.
- City Slickers (1991) – On the verge of turning 40, an unhappy Manhattan yuppie is roped into joining his two friends on a cattle drive in the southwest.
- Coneheads (1993) – Aliens with conical crania crash-land on Earth.
- Beavis And Butt-Head Do America (1996) – The dim-witted teen duo of Beavis and Butt-Head travel across America in search of their stolen television set.
- Police Academy (1984) – A group of good-hearted, but incompetent misfits enter the police academy, but the instructors there are not going to put up with their pranks.
- The Patriot (2000) – Peaceful farmer Benjamin Martin is driven to lead the Colonial Militia during the American Revolution when a sadistic British officer murders his son. Client, The
- Outbreak (1995) – Army doctors struggle to find a cure for a deadly virus spreading throughout a California town that was brought to America by an African monkey.
- Sleepers (1996) – After a prank goes disastrously wrong, a group of boys are sent to a detention center where they are brutalized. Thirteen years later, they get their chance for revenge.
- Julie & Julia (2009) – Julia Child’s story of her start in the cooking profession is intertwined with blogger Julie Powell’s 2002 challenge to cook all the recipes in Child’s first book.
Kids & Family Movies
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) – Four teenage mutant ninja turtles emerge from the shadows to protect New York City from a gang of criminal ninjas.
- Barnyard (2006) – When the farmer’s away, all the animals play, and sing, and dance. Eventually, though, someone has to step in and run things, a responsibility that ends up going to Otis, a carefree cow.
- Grease 2 (1982) – An English student at a 1960s American high school has to prove himself to the leader of a girls’ gang whose members can only date greasers.
- Addicted to Love (1997) – Maggie’s and Sam’s former partners are in love; she wants revenge and he wants his lost love back, so they work together to break up the happy couple.
- The Fifth Element (1997) – In the colorful future, a cab driver unwittingly becomes the central figure in the search for a legendary cosmic weapon to keep Evil and Mr. Zorg at bay.
- The Butterfly Effect (2004) – Evan Treborn suffers blackouts during significant events of his life. As he grows up, he finds a way to remember these lost memories and a supernatural way to alter his life by reading his journal.
- Shutter Island (2010) – In 1954, a U.S. Marshal investigates the disappearance of a murderer, who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane.
- Dolores Claiborne (1995) – A big-city reporter travels to the small town where her mother has been arrested for the murder of an elderly woman that she works for as a maid.
Unlocked Premium Subscription Service Content
The Roku Channel offers one-click subscriptions to four dozen premium streaming videos services like HBO, STARZ, Showtime, Cinemax, Epix, and Acorn TV. In an apparent effort to promote these services, Roku recently announced the availability of unlocked episodes of shows from some of those services. Roku said that unlocked content includes episodes from Showtime's "On Becoming a God in Central Florida," the EPIX series "Godfather of Harlem," "America The Story of Us" from HISTORY Vault, "Heartland" on Dove Channel, and Acorn TV's British series "Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries."
Of course, only a few episodes of each series are unlocked; Roku's hope is that you'll get hooked on a series and subscribe to the premium service to watch the remaining unlocked episodes. Also, these unlocked episodes are not accessible from a single location and Roku has not released a full list of shows with unlocked episodes, although the list above ended with "and more." This means that you'll have to dig through each service and each series to see if any free episodes are available.