Roku is adding over three dozen movies and three TV shows on The Roku Channel this month, all available to stream for free. Here are our picks for the best of the bunch, but you can find the full list here.
- Alex Cross – A homicide detective is pushed to the brink of his moral and physical limits as he tangles with a ferociously skilled hired killer who specializes in torture and pain.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – A young Chinese warrior steals a sword from a famed swordsman and then escapes into a world of romantic adventure with a mysterious man in the frontier of the nation.
- Deja Vu – After a ferry is bombed in New Orleans, an A.T.F. agent joins a unique investigation using experimental surveillance technology to find the bomber, but soon finds himself becoming obsessed with one of the victims.
- La Bamba – Biographical story of the rise from nowhere of early rock and roll singer Ritchie Valens who died at age 17 in a plane crash with Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper.
- The Last of the Mohicans – Three trappers protect the daughters of a British Colonel in the midst of the French and Indian War.
- Purple Rain – A young musician, tormented by an abusive situation at home, must contend with a rival singer, a burgeoning romance, and his own dissatisfied band, as his star begins to rise.
- What’s Love Got to Do with It – The story of singer Tina Turner’s rise to stardom and how she gained the courage to break free from her abusive husband, Ike Turner.
- 10 Things I Hate About You – A pretty, popular teenager can’t go out on a date until her ill-tempered older sister does.
- Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights – High school senior Katey moves to Havana in November 1958, when her dad gets a promotion at Ford. She meets a local waiter, who introduces her to sensual Cuban music/dance. They enter a big dance contest for the prize when he gets fired.
- Tootsie – Michael Dorsey, an unsuccessful actor, disguises himself as a woman in order to get a role on a trashy hospital soap.
- West Side Story – Two youngsters from rival New York City gangs fall in love, but tensions between their respective friends build toward tragedy.
- Annie (2014) – A foster kid, who lives with her mean foster mom, sees her life change when business tycoon and New York City mayoral candidate Will Stacks makes a thinly-veiled campaign move and takes her in.
- City Slickers – On the verge of turning 40, an unhappy Manhattan yuppie is roped into joining his two friends on a cattle drive in the southwest.
- Hot Tub Time Machine – A malfunctioning time machine at a ski resort takes a man back to 1986 with his two friends and nephew, where they must relive a fateful night and not change anything to make sure the nephew is born.
- O Brother, Where Art Thou? – In the deep south during the 1930s, three escaped convicts search for hidden treasure while a relentless lawman pursues them.
- Parenthood – The lives and tragedies of the Braverman family tree.
- House – An antisocial maverick doctor who specializes in diagnostic medicine does whatever it takes to solve puzzling cases that come his way using his crack team of doctors and his wits.
- The Mentalist – A famous “psychic” outs himself as a fake, and starts working as a consultant for the California Bureau of Investigation so he can find “Red John”, the madman who killed his wife and daughter.