Quick Look: Sling TV, a DISH subsidiary, is an alternative to traditional pay cable or satellite television services. Sling TV provides live feeds to many of the most popular cable network channels, and on-demand access to many popular cable programs. The service is available on several devices including Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android, iOS, Mac, and PC. Sling offers a 7-day free trial to check out the available programming.
Sling TV bills itself as "a la carte TV," so you might expect to be able to pick and choose individual channels you want. However, that's not how it works - a la carte refers to the ability to select bundles of channels. This is a significant difference from traditional pay TV, which offers channels on a tier basis. If you want a channel in the highest tier, you're forced to pay for all the channels in lower tiers. With Sling TV, you pay $5 per month for each group of channels (known as "Extras").
Sling offers two domestic services: Sling Orange ($25/month) and Sling Blue ($25/month). Sling Orange lets you stream to a single device at one time and includes 30 channels like ESPN, Disney Channel, AMC, CNN, HGTV, and more. Sling Blue lets you stream to as many as three devices simultaneously and offers over 40 channels like FOX, NBC, regional sports (geographic restrictions apply), NFL Network, FX, and more. There is a $10 discount for subscribing to both services (known as Orange+Blue), which gives you all of the channels available through the two packages for $40/month. Click here to browse the full list of channels for each service on the Sling TV website.
After subscribing to a basic Orange, Blue, or Orange+Blue package, you can subscribe to one or more of the following Extra packages:Cloud DVR, Kids, Sports, News, Comedy Extra, Lifestyle, Locals, Premiums , Hollywood, Heartland, International and Espanol. The channels available under each package vary according to your base package; visit the Sling TV website for channel listings.
In addition to the live feeds of the cable channels, many shows are available on-demand. If the on-demand shows episodes aren't enough for you, you can subscribe to Sling's cloud DVR service, which lets you "record" shows from many of the channels and stream them back at your leisure. Since this is a cloud service, there's no hardware to purchase and connect- just subscribe and the DVR controls will be shown in the Sling TV app.
Sling TV also offers movie rentals in a number of genres including Horror, Action/Adventure, Romance, Drama, and many more. And, in addition to the basic channels, you can add HBO (live and on-demand) for $15/month and Cinemax for $10/month.
To sign up for SlingTV you need to set up an account on the SlingTV account registration website. You will need a valid credit card and email address to complete the registration. If you decide that this channel is not for you, you can cancel anytime by going to "Your Account" and clicking on "Cancel Subscription" or by calling 877-811-4788.
-- Information is current as of February 19, 2019
Roku Channel Store Description:
- Sling TV is Live TV, Only Better. The #1 Live TV Streaming Service that lets you personalize your channel lineup and save.
- Start with the service best for you, then personalize with YOUR favorite genres: Sports, Comedy, Kids, News, Movies, Lifestyle, Spanish, & more. Change your service online anytime.
- Over 100 live channels available to stream instantly on all your favorite devices: TVs, tablets, phones, computers, gaming consoles & more. Watch your favorite live sports like the NBA & college basketball, hit TV shows like The Walking Dead, Black Ink Crew, SportsCenter, plus 10,000+ hours of on-demand shows and movies.
- With Sling TV you can get both TV and Cloud DVR on your terms – add it when you want and choose when you watch, for just $5.
- This is TV on your terms. No paying for useless channels, no long-term contracts, easy online cancellation.
- The Sling Orange service offers 30 channels for just $25/mo – including ESPN, Disney Channel, AMC, TNT, TBS, CNN, and many more.
- The Sling Blue service offers 40+ channels for just $25/mo – including FOX and NBC (select markets only) HGTV, FX, History, Comedy Central, Cartoon Network, and many more.
- Please note: This app features Nielsen’s proprietary measurement software which will allow you to contribute to market research, like Nielsen’s TV Ratings. Please see www.nielsen.com/digitalprivacy for more information.
- #1 Live Streaming Service is based on # of OTT households reported by comScore 4/2017.
CHANNEL STORE CATEGORY: Movies & TV
DEVELOPER: Sling TV LLC
FEES: 7-day free trial. Prices vary by package and add-on. Detailed information and sign-up here.
RokuGuide.com may receive a referral fee for any purchases or subscriptions made through links on this page. See our full FTC Disclosure Statement for more information.