Quick Look: DirecTV NOW, AT&T's linear TV service for cordcutters, offers over 120 cable TV channels, as well as 20,000 on-demand movies and TV shows, through Roku and other over-the-top media streaming devices. DirecTV NOW has a A 7-day free trial for new subscribers, after which the service auto-renews if not canceled.
Four packages are available from DirecTV NOW (visit the DirecTV NOW website for a list of channels available with each package):
- Live a Little – $35/month (60+ channels)
- Just Right – $50/month (80+ channels)
- Go Big – $60/month (100+ channels)
- Gotta Have it – $70/month (120+ channels)
The following premium services are available as optional add-ons: HBO ($5/month), Cinemax ($5/month), Showtime ($8/month), and Starz ($8/month).
In addition to live (linear) cable channels, you'll get local TV from ABC and NBC affiliates (note, however, the disclaimer from DirecTV NOW that local channels have "limited availability") and up to 20,000 on-demand movies and TV show.
Here's how to get DirecTV NOW on your Roku:
- Sign up for any package on the DirecTV NOW website.
- Install the DirecTV NOW channel on your Roku by clicking here or by using the search function on your Roku device. (Don't worry, you won't be creating a new subscription by installing the channel - you cannot subscribe to DirecTV NOW through your Roku device, you must do so through the DirecTV NOW website.)
- Launch the DirecTV NOW channel on your Roku and sign in with the username and password created when you signed up for the service.
If you're already a DirecTV NOW subscriber, just add the Roku channel and sign in.
In a May 2017 blog post, Roku, Inc. described the DIRECTV NOW service on Roku as "an early release." We don't know what is meant by that, other than the fact that it is currently available only on "select devices," which include the Roku TV 4K models, the Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere+, Roku Premiere, Roku Express, Roku Express+, Roku Streaming Stick (model 3600R), Roku 4, Roku 3 and Roku 2 (model 4210). Although all current-generation standalone Roku devices are supported, noticeably absent are non-4K models of Roku TV. Roku states that they "will continue to work with AT&T to add support for more Roku devices in the future."
-- Information is current as of September 12, 2017
Developer's Channel Description: Watch up to 120+ Live TV Channels & 20,000+ On Demand Movies & Shows with this early release of DIRECTV NOW! This is your NEW standalone streaming service for Live TV & On Demand Movies. Enjoy your favorite TV shows, news, sports, & events as they air. Sign-up & start watching Live TV now!
CHANNEL STORE CATEGORY: Movies & TV
DEVELOPER: AT&T Services Inc.
RokuGuide.com may receive a referral fee for any purchases or subscriptions made through links on this page. See our full FTC Disclosure Statement for more information.