Quick Look: DirecTV NOW, AT&T's linear TV service for cordcutters, offers over 125 cable TV channels, as well as 20,000 on-demand movies and TV shows, through Roku and other over-the-top media streaming devices. Five packages are available from DirecTV NOW (visit the DirecTV NOW website for a list of channels available with each package):
- Live a Little – $40/month (65+ channels)
- Just Right – $55/month (85+ channels)
- Go Big – $65/month (105+ channels)
- Gotta Have it – $75/month (125+ channels)
- Todo Y Mas- $45/month (90+ channels)
Roku users are also eligible for True Cloud DVR which allows users 20 hours of free storage
The following premium services are available as optional add-ons: HBO ($5/month), Cinemax ($5/month), Showtime ($8/month), and Starz ($8/month). Spanish Add-ons Sports $5/month or all in with Sports, News and Telenovas $10/month
International Channel packages:
Vietnamese: 9 Channels- $20/month
Brazilian: 2 channels- $25/month
Korean: 12 channels- $30/month
In addition to live (linear) cable channels, you'll get local TV from ABC and NBC affiliates (note, however, the disclaimer from DirecTV NOW that local channels have "limited availability") and up to 20,000 on-demand movies and TV show.
Here's how to get DirecTV NOW on your Roku:
- Sign up for any package on the DirecTV NOW website.
- Install the DirecTV NOW channel on your Roku by clicking here or by using the search function on your Roku device. (Don't worry, you won't be creating a new subscription by installing the channel - you cannot subscribe to DirecTV NOW through your Roku device, you must do so through the DirecTV NOW website.)
- Launch the DirecTV NOW channel on your Roku and sign in with the username and password created when you signed up for the service.
If you're already a DirecTV NOW subscriber, just add the Roku channel and sign in.
In a May 2017 blog post, Roku, Inc. described the DIRECTV NOW service on Roku as "an early release." We don't know what is meant by that, other than the fact that it is currently available only on "select devices," which include the Roku TV 4K models(model: 7000X), Roku non-4K TV(model: 8000X), Roku Ultra(models: 4640X, 4660RW, 4660X), Roku Premiere+(model: 4630), Roku Premiere(model: 4620), Roku Express(models: 3900RW, 3900X), Roku Express+(models: 3910RW, 3910X), Roku Streaming Stick (models: 3600X, 3800RT, 3800RW, 3800X), Roku Streaming Stick+(models: 3810RW, 3810X), Roku 4(model: 4400)
-- Information is current as of March 11, 2019
Developer's Channel Description: DIRECTV NOW, with new True Cloud DVR BETA, is your NEW standalone streaming service for Live TV and On Demand entertainment. Quickly find your recently watched movies & shows, right at your fingertips. Enjoy news, sports, events and shows as they happen, or binge your favorite TV series and movies anytime, anywhere.
Looking for instant access to top entertainment with no annual contract, no satellite and no hassle? You’re one click away from rules free tv. Simply install the DIRECTV NOW app and join the streaming revolution!
CHANNEL STORE CATEGORY: Movies & TV
DEVELOPER: AT&T Services Inc.
FEES: Packages available for $35 to $70 per month.