Roku is adding 32 Holiday, Family, Drama, Action, Romance, and Comedy movies on The Roku Channel in December, all available to stream for free.
That's enough movies to let you watch a different over day, but our favorites include Miracle on 34th Street (1994), a holiday film about a lawyer and a little girl who must prove that a man claiming to be Santa Claus is the real thing; Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988), in which a toon-hating detective is a cartoon rabbit's only hope to prove his innocence when he is accused of murder; Edward Scissorhands (1990), where an artificial man, who was incompletely constructed and has scissors for hands, leads a solitary life until one day a suburban lady meets him and introduces him to her world; and The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005), about a nerdy guy who's never "done the deed" and only finds the pressure mounting when he meets a single mother. See the full list of this month's new films on The Roku Channel below.
New Holiday Movies on The Roku Channel
- Miracle on 34th Street (1994) – A lawyer and a little girl must prove that a man claiming to be Santa Claus is the real thing.
- The Preacher’s Wife – An angel comes to Earth to help a preacher save his church and his family.
- Santa Claus: The Movie – The legend of Santa Claus is put in jeopardy when an unscrupulous toy manufacturer attempts to take over Christmas.
- Santa Who? – Santa suffers a case of amnesia on the eve of his busiest season.
- A Christmas Letter – Leslie has done everything right in her life except for finding Mr. Right, until the spirit of Christmas leads her there in an unusual way.
New Comedy Movies on The Roku Channel
- The 40-Year-Old Virgin – Goaded by his buddies, a nerdy guy who’s never “done the deed” only finds the pressure mounting when he meets a single mother.
- Weekend at Bernie’s – Two idiots try to pretend that their murdered employer is really alive, leading the hitman to attempt to track him down to finish him off.
New Family Movies on The Roku Channel
- The Smurfs – When the evil wizard Gargamel chases the tiny blue Smurfs out of their village, they tumble from their magical world into New York City.
- The Smurfs 2 – The Smurfs team up with their human friends to rescue Smurfette, who has been abducted by Gargamel, since she knows a secret spell that can turn the evil sorcerer’s newest creation, creatures called “The Naughties”, into real Smurfs.
- Because of Winn-Dixie – A mischievous dog befriends a lonely young girl in a new town and helps her make new friends.
- Megamind – Evil genius Megamind finally defeats his do-gooder nemesis, Metro Man, but is left without a purpose in a superhero-free world.
- Epic – A teenager finds herself transported to a deep forest setting where a battle between the forces of good and evil is taking place. She bands together with a ragtag group of characters to save their world–and ours.
- Peter Pan – The Darling family children receive a visit from Peter Pan, who takes them to Never Never Land where an ongoing war with the evil Pirate Captain Hook is taking place.
- The Iron Giant – A young boy befriends a giant robot from outer space that a paranoid government agent wants to destroy.
- Corpse Bride – When a shy groom practices his wedding vows in the inadvertent presence of a deceased young woman, she rises from the grave assuming he has married her.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit – A toon-hating detective is a cartoon rabbit’s only hope to prove his innocence when he is accused of murder.
New Action Movies on The Roku Channel
- Midway – The story of the Battle of Midway, told by the leaders and the sailors who fought it.
- Van Helsing – The famed monster hunter is sent to Transylvania to stop Count Dracula, who is using Dr. Frankenstein’s research and a werewolf for nefarious purposes.
- Gone in 60 Seconds – A retired master car thief must come back to the industry and steal fifty cars with his crew in one night to save his brother’s life.
- Inception – A thief who steals corporate secrets through the use of dream-sharing technology is given the inverse task of planting an idea into the mind of a C.E.O., but his tragic past may doom the project and his team to disaster.
- Bullet Proof – After stealing millions in cash from the drug hiding place of the sadistic mafia boss Temple, a thief finds a stowaway passenger in his getaway car.
New Drama Movies on The Roku Channel
- Oblivion – A veteran assigned to extract Earth’s remaining resources begins to question what he knows about his mission and himself.
- Judy – Legendary performer Judy Garland arrives in London in the winter of 1968 to perform a series of sold-out concerts.
- Lincoln – As the American Civil War continues to rage, America’s president struggles with continuing carnage on the battlefield as he fights with many inside his own cabinet on the decision to emancipate the slaves.
- The Horse Whisperer – The mother of a severely traumatized daughter enlists the aid of a unique horse trainer to help the girl’s equally injured horse.
- Edward Scissorhands – An artificial man, who was incompletely constructed and has scissors for hands, leads a solitary life. Then one day, a suburban lady meets him and introduces him to her world.
- The Theory of Everything – A look at the relationship between the famous physicist Stephen Hawking and his wife.
New Romance Movies on The Roku Channel
- Where the Heart Is – A pregnant seventeen-year-old rebuilds her life after being abandoned by her boyfriend at a Walmart in Sequoyah, Oklahoma.
- She’s the Man – When her brother decides to ditch for a couple weeks, Viola heads over to his elite boarding school, disguised as him, and proceeds to fall for his school’s star soccer player, and soon learns she’s not the only one with romantic troubles.
- Unfaithful – A New York suburban couple’s marriage goes dangerously awry when the wife indulges in an adulterous fling.
- The Notebook – A poor yet passionate young man (Ryan Gosling) falls in love with a rich young woman (Rachel McAdams), giving her a sense of freedom, but they are soon separated because of their social differences.
- Two Weeks Notice – A lawyer decides that she’s used too much like a nanny by her boss, so she walks out on him.
Movie descriptions courtesy of Roku, Inc.