Quick Look: YouTube TV is a live TV streaming service that gives subscribers access to over 40 networks, including ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, AMC, Disney Channel, ESPN, NBC Sports, CBS Sports Network, FOX Sports, FOX News, and MSNBC, for $35 per month. Showtime, Fox Soccer Plus, Shudder, and Sundance Now are available for an additional monthly fee. YouTube TV is currently available in over 80 metro areas. A list of cities can be found at tv.youtube.com.
YouTube TV's home screen will show you "top picks" as well as recommendations for both live and on-demand content in categories that include Family, Movies, Shows, Sports, and News. The home screen also provides access to YouTube Red Originals and regular YouTube content such as "Food Shows on YouTube" and "Trending on YouTube." Keep scrolling to the bottom of the home screen and you'll find a list of all available networks. Select a network to view live, upcoming, and on-demand listings, including listings by genre. Select any show for a schedule of upcoming airings and information about that show along with related videos on YouTube and similar shows. If you only care about live programming, though, select the "Live" option from the top of the screen for a traditional TV programming grid.
In addition to live streaming, YouTube TV includes a cloud DVR service with unlimited storage space. The "Library" selection at the top of the screen is where you'll find your DVR recordings. To schedule a recording, find a show using the channel's search function, through the live TV grid, or any other means available, and then select the plus sign to add it to your library. By adding it to your library, all future airings of that show will be recorded. (No, you cannot record only selected episodes of a series.)
Channels available on YouTube TV
As of February 2017, the following channels are available on YouTube TV:
|BBC World News||Big Ten Network||Bravo|
|CNBC||NBC Sports||CBS Sports Network|
|The CW||Disney Channel||Disney Junior|
|Disney XD||SEC ESPN Network||E Network|
|Fox Business||FOX News||Fox Sports|
|National Geographic||Nat Geo Wild||NBC Sports Network|
|POP||Smithsonian Channel||Sundance TV|
|Universal Kids||NBC Universo||USA|
|WE TV||YES Network||YouTube Red Originals|
Visit tv.youtube.com for a list of current channels, but note that some channels are not available in all areas. To find out which channels are available in your area, visit the YouTube TV website and follow the prompts for a free trial. You'll be shown the exact TV networks, including local channels, for your area before you have to commit to the free trial.
How to get YouTube TV on Roku
YouTube TV's Roku channel has prompts to sign in and to start a free trial, but those prompts only tell you to visit the YouTube TV website. Here is how to get YouTube TV on you Roku device:
Start a Free 7-day Trial of YouTube TV
- Visit tv.youtube.com and click on the "TRY IT FREE" button.
- Sign in to your Google account (if you don't have a Google account, you will need to create one).
- Let Google know your location (necessary to allow YouTube TV to identify your local TV stations).
- Review the list of channels available in your area and select premium add-ons, if desired.
- Add or confirm a payment method (you won't be billed if you cancel before the 7th day).
- Link your Roku device to your YouTube TV account.
Link your Roku device to your YouTube TV account
- Launch the YouTube TV Roku channel and select "already a member" from the home screen.
- Visit tv.youtube.com/activate from a computer or mobile device, sign into your Google account, and enter the code shown on the Roku channel.
- The Roku channel will automatically log you in after you've gone through the process on the website.
- If the linking code is not accepted, you may have waited too long between generating the code and entering it on the website; return to the Roku channel to generate a new linking code.
Devices that support YouTube TV
According to Roku, YouTube TV is currently supported on all Roku TVs, Roku Ultra, Roku Streaming Stick+, Roku Streaming Stick (3800x, 3600x), Roku Express/Express+ (3910x, 3900x, 3710x, 3700x), Roku Premiere+, Roku Premiere, Roku 4, Roku 3 (4200x, 4230x), and Roku 2 (4210x). YouTube TV is also available on Apple TV, Chromecast, Xbox One, Android TV, and some smart TVs, as well as on mobile devices and computer.
-- Information is current as of February 4, 2018
Developer's Channel Description: Cable-free live TV. No cable box required -- just your Roku.
CHANNEL STORE CATEGORY: Movies & TV
FEES: $35/month after free trial; premium channels available for additional monthly fee
YouTube TV Website