Quick Look: Deezer is a streaming music service, similar to Spotify, that allows users to stream unlimited music and select individual track on demand. The European-based Deezer provides access to more than 43 million songs from record labels that include EMI, Sony, Universal Music Group, and Warner Music Group.
To use Deezer on Roku, you'll need to subscribe to the "Premium+" paid service - free accounts aren't accepted. However, Roku and Deezer are offering a free 3-month trial if you subscribe through the Roku channel. In addition to Roku devices, Deezer is accessible on PC/Mac; iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and Blackberry devices; Google Chromecast; Amazon Fire TV; and smart TVs from several manufacturers.
Deezer offers the following options on the Roku main menu:
- Flow: Deezer bills Flow as your personal soundtrack, mixing the music you've "liked" with recommendations of similar tracks in a continuous stream.
- My Music: The tracks and albums that you've "liked" are all saved under 'My Music' for easy access.
- Last Played: The last several tracks played are listed here. Even if you forgot to "like" some of them, you can revisit them from this selection.
- Playlist picks: Recommended playlists based on the artists and music that you like.
- New releases: Browse recently-added albums from a variety of artists, not just those you've liked - discover music outside of your usual genres.
- Mixes: Select a mood or music type and Deezer will queue up a mix.
- Top playlists: The most-streamed playlists across all genres.
- Search: If you know what you're looking for, use keywords to find matching artists, albums, tracks, playlists, and mixes.
How to get Deezer on your Roku:
Here's how to get Deezer on your Roku, and how to get the 3-month free trial:
- Install the Deezer channel from the channel store using this link or by using the search function on your Roku device.
- Launch the channel and follow the on-screen instructions to activate a new Deezer Premium + account. (If you're already a Deezer subscriber, select the option to log in and enter your Deezer credentials).
- If you're a new subscriber, you won't be billed until your 3-month free trial has ended. You can find the expiration date of your trial at my.roku.com/account/subscriptions.
- You can also cancel your subscription at my.roku.com/account/subscriptions. Note that your subscription will remain active through the current period even after cancelling.
And here's a tip for getting more out of Deezer: After creating your account, log into your account on the Deezer website where you'll be prompted to select your favorite music genres and artists within each genre. This will quick-start your Deezer Flow before you've had a chance to 'like' tracks and artists within the Roku channel.
-- Information is current as of November 12, 2017
Developer's Channel Description: Discover the music you love with Deezer Premium+. Get access to millions of tracks, create endless playlists with your favorite artists, songs and albums, and get personalised recommendations at the touch of a button.
CHANNEL STORE CATEGORY: Music
$9.99 per month. Three-month free trial if you subscribe through the Roku channel