Quick Look: Movie Vault is a classic films channel, offering movies that are in the public domain. For the movies on this channel, that usually means that the copyright has expired, which is why most of the titles you'll find here are from the 1950s and earlier. Movie Vault titles go as far back as the original 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1916), but the greatest concentration of films are from the 1930s through the 1950s. You'll also find a few oddball modern-era films such as Rescue from Gilligan's Island (1978), but those who purchase this channel will do so for the black-and-white classics.
There are currently 891 films available in 12 genres, in addition to a Featured Films category. The developer's genre descriptions and the number of films currently available in each are listed below:
- Action & Adventure - "Great action and adventure movies" (30 titles)
- Comedy - "Laugh out loud comedies" (117 titles)
- Crime - "Edge of your seat crime flix" (68 titles)
- Documentary - "Fact based real-life movies" (15 titles)
- Drama - "Emotional and gripping movies" (107 titles)
- Horror - "Scary and creepy horror classics" (101 titles)
- Musicals - "Sing along with some of your favorites" (48 titles)
- Mystery - "Suspenseful detective movies" (92 titles)
- Romance - "Fall in love all over again" (81 titles)
- Sci-Fi & Fantasy - "Blast off with some great films" (99 titles)
- War - "Great battles on air, land, and sea" (49 titles)
- Western - "Thrilling adventures from the Old West" (174 titles)
If you're interested only in Westerns, you can save a couple of couple of dollars by purchasing the Classic Westerns channel instead, which offers the same Westerns found on this channel. Movie Vault is also available as an app on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, but those must be purchased separately. Owning own does not give you access on other devices.
Pub-D-Hub is a similar channel with no charge (although a subscription service is available that offers more films and more-frequent updates). I haven't done a title-by-title comparison of movies, but from a quick scan it looks like there is some duplication of titles, though each offers a wide selection not provided by the other.
I've found Movie Vault's delivery to be excellent, with quick loading and no interruptions for reloading. It goes without saying that the movies are not HD-quality. If you're a fan of the old black-and-white classics, this channel is well worth the price for the broad range of selections and number of films.
--RokuGuide Reviewed on August 12, 2011
Developer's Channel Description: Movie Vault brings you hundreds of classic public domain movies and TV shows from the last hundred years. All content features original cover art as well as detailed information direct from IMDB. Action, Comedy, Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi, Westerns, and more.
CHANNEL STORE CATEGORY: Movies & TV
DEVELOPER: FLING SOFT LLC
FEES: $3.99 one-time purchase
Movie Vault Website