SORRY - Nowhere TV is no longer available as a private/non-certified channel on Roku.
RokuGuide Channel Review: Nowhere TV is a free private channel that brings together audio and video podcasts from a wide variety of sources. The iTunes Podcasts channel has a much larger library of podcasts, but Nowhere TV has winnowed down the number of podcasts to those that are particularly useful, popular, or entertaining.
The following content was available at the time of our review, but you will likely find the current content to be somewhat different as media streams are added or removed.
- ABC - The same audio podcasts that are available on Roku Newscaster, but with the addition of video clips of individual news reports.
- American Public Media - Audio podcasts from the second largest producer and distributor of public radio programming in the U.S.
- Archive.org - A selection of music and videos from The Internet Archive, "a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form." You'll find films, presidential recordings, classic TV, and music from artist such as Blues Traveler and The Grateful Dead.
- Astronomy - Primarily NASA podcasts, some of which are available Roku Newscaster, but includes several that are not.
- BBC - Nearly two dozen BBC podcasts.
- CBS - Includes most of the Roku Newscaster podcasts, but includes CBS entertainments shows like The Late Show with David Letterman.
- CNN - Many popular CNN podcasts, including Anderson Cooper 360 and Sanjay Gupta MD, along with selected newscasts.
- Current TV - Videos from several of Current TV's offerings.
- Entertainment - Keep up on the world of entertainment, videos from TMZ, Adult Swim, ET Insider, The Soup, and more.
- FOX News - Over a dozen podcasts, including Fox personalities Bill O'Reilly, Brian Kilmeade, and Bret Baier.
- Gaming - Coverage of Sony PSP and Nintendo Wii, along with several other gaming-related videos.
- Government - Podcasts from C-Span, The Pentagon Channel, and the White House, including press briefings and the president's weekly address.
- HBO - Sorry, nothing from HBO Go here - just audio of boxing matches, some Bill Maher videos, and short promo clips for HBO Stand Up Comedy.
- Home & Garden - HGTV and Food Network are no longer available, but you will find other food- and drink-related videos such as Brewing TV, The Beer Temple, Food 101, and Gardenfork.
- Informational - An eclectic collection that includes Bloomberg TV, National Geographic Expedition Week, Smithsonian Channel, and TEDTalks.
- International - Podcasts from France, Russia, Germany, and other international locales.
- Kids and Family - You'll find recognized names like Cartoon Network, Sesame Street, and Disney, along with some lesser-known producers of family-friendly content.
- Local - If your local news is streamed over the web, you'll likely find it here (if the stream is Roku-compatible), with over 100 local newscasts. Local news was previously discussed in this RokuGuide article, which lists the cities covered by this Nowhere TV category.
- MLB - You'll still need the MLB Channel to watch live Major League Baseball, but Nowhere TV will let you watch podcasts from the Ranges, Colorado Rockies, Cubs, Phillies, and Red Sox.
- Motorsports - Several podcasts on racing topics, including NASCAR.
- NBC - Yes, your favorite full-length NBC shows are still available, including Rachel Maddow and the full NBC Nightly News broadcast. Newscaster refugees can find them all right here.
- NHL - Game highlights, post-game analysis, and many other hockey-related podcasts.
- NPR - Your favorite NPR shows are available here, including Car Talk, Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!, and Fresh Air.
- PBS - Watch videos from popular PBS shows, including Nature, Nightly Business Report, and Tavis Smiley.
- Public Radio International - Audio podcasts from another leader in public radion programming
- Spirituality - Mostly LDS (Mormon) videos, wiht a few other religious programs and even an atheist podcast.
- Sports - Over 20 podcasts from ESPN, plus MLB, Tennis, and Tour de France.
- Technology - The major tech podcasts are here, including CNET, Engadget, TechCrunch, TWiT and Wired.
Most of the videos are podcasts designed for playing in a web browser, so you won't find a lot of high-def broadcasts. The available podcasts are routinely updated, and you can find the latest additions under the "Newest" category. If there are podcasts that you think would be a good addition, you make suggestions, as well as report problems or ask questions about the channel, in the Nowhere TV discussion on the Roku forums.
--RokuGuide Reviewed on January 15, 2012