Quick Look: Baeble Music features indie music, but the channel could also be named Music for Hipsters. The Baeble Music website, states that "indie has evolved from its original meaning (independent music, free from major record labels or distribution chains) to a more comprehensive categorization of styles and tastes. The consumer of such tastes is often referred to as a hipster." And, again according to Baeble, "indie music is the base level of hipness". Hipster or not, if you like indie music, here is what the Baeble Music Roku channel has to offer.
There are hundreds of videos available, presented in five categories.
- Live Concerts - "Straight from the Venue". Currently over 80 videos dating back to 2007. Not just short videos, these are longer presentations, generally from a half hour to a full hour in length. Recent concerts include City and Colour performing at Brooklyn's Littlefield, Foster The People at The Music Hall of Williamsburg, and Fitz and The Tantrums at Atlantic City's Bader Field.
- The Guest Apartment - "Intimate Sessions". Close to 80 performances recorded at smaller venues, such as Rockwood Music Hall, Washington Square Park, and The Bowery Electric.
- Interviews - "Exclusive Portraits". Interviews and behind-the-scenes with well over one hundred artists. The most recent videos feature James Durbin, Thrice, Viva Voce, Committed, and The Naked And Famous.
- SXSW 2011 - "Baeble's Showcase". Performances from the four-day Baeble Music Showcase held that Austin's Phoenix nightclub during the 2011 SXSW.
- Music Videos - "Indie Favorites". Whereas most of the Baeble Music videos are live performances, this category presents more intricately choreographed and edited videos.
The Baeble Music channel is very basic, and it would be nice to see a few additions to the user interface. The best addition would a "play all" option to allow the viewer to continuously stream all of the videos, instead of having to grab the remote after each one. I would also like to see additional information that is presented on the website, such as more details about the video and the artists. And a search function would be useful in finding a particular artist or song.
But the channel is not to be faulted for not having any bells and whistles. The Baeble Music channel does an excellent job of delivering current and past indie music videos to the Roku, which is what it was designed to do, and it does it for free. Even if you don't consider yourself to be "hip", the Baeble Music channel is a great addition to the Roku.
-- Information is current as of September 25, 2014
Developer's Channel Description: Baeble music is your number one source of full-length live concerts from today's most promising artists. Based in New York City with a finger on the pulse of new music, Baeble hand picks every artist for filming at a variety of venues.
CHANNEL STORE CATEGORY: Music
DEVELOPER: Float Left Interactive