RokuGuide Quick Look: NOOK, for those unfamiliar with the name, is the name of the Barnes & Noble line of ebook readers and tablets. But you don't need to own one to use this app. You just need to create a free account at the NOOK website, and you can rent or purchase movies and TV shows for viewing on the Roku.
Unlike most of the video services that offer current films and TV shows, there is no all-you-can-consume option; videos are offered for individual rental or purchase. A drawback to this Roku channel is the inability to browse or to rent or purchase videos from within the Roku channel. All videos must be rented or purchased from a NOOK device or from the NOOK website. After renting or purchasing, the videos will be listed within the Roku channel.
If you try to browse videos from the NOOK website, you will need to access them through the from the second-line menu selection "Reading & Entertainment"; from there, select "Movies & TV". If you start with the top-level "Movies & TV" menu selection you may find yourself purchasing a physical DVD. (That top-level menu selection does, however, offer access to videos - just be sure you look under the NOOK heading.)
Here are some other features of the NOOK Video Roku channel as described by B&N:
- Enjoy thousands of movies from major Hollywood studios, and hit TV series from HBO, Showtime, National Geographic, and other top networks.
- All NOOK Video content is ad free.
- Get the hottest Hollywood new releases the same day they’re released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc™— and in some cases even earlier!
- Rent or buy movies and TV shows in standard or high definition 1080p.
- Download the NOOK Video app to your smartphone or tablet and access your videos across multiple devices.
-- Information is current as of August 22, 2012
Developer's Channel Description: NOOK Video gives you access to the newest Hollywood blockbusters, independent films and family favorites. Watch single episodes or full seasons of popular TV shows. Buy or rent titles without a subscription. Stream in up to Full High Definition 1080p. Visit NOOK.com to get started.
CHANNEL STORE CATEGORY: Movies & TV
DEVELOPER: Barnes & Noble